A mini crib mattress is a smaller version of a standard crib mattress. It is specifically designed for use in mini cribs, which are smaller versions of traditional cribs that are typically used for infants and young children. Mini cribs are a popular choice for parents who have limited space in their home or who want to have a portable sleeping option for their child.
Mini crib mattresses are typically smaller in size than standard crib mattresses, measuring approximately 24 inches by 38 inches. They are made with the same materials and features as standard crib mattresses, including a firm and supportive core, a waterproof cover, and a comfortable sleep surface. They are also designed to meet the same safety standards as standard crib mattresses.
The 8 Best Mini Crib Mattresses of 2023：Our Recommendation
1.Naturepedic Organic Crib Mattress
- Great dual firmness
- Healthier materials
- Waterproof & dust resistant cover
There is no polyurethane foam in any Naturepedic mattress, and they don’t use flame retardants in any product. This mattress has no chemical odor and is GreenGuard Gold Certified. Its food-grade polyethylene cover is waterproof and seamless, which makes cleaning easy, protects the interior from dust mites, and reduces the potential for microbial growth.
This Naturepedic is the heaviest of our favorites at 20 lbs. Because of its innerspring construction, it requires some muscle to conduct bedding changes. This could be a challenge if you have weight imitations after giving birth or just loathe the idea of struggling with sheet changes in the dark. If you are looking for a non-waterproof cover, this one is not the best choice, as it uses food-grade polyethylene for waterproofing. Last, while this mattress’s measurements are within the standard size, its corners are square, so it may not fit well in every crib. The crib mattress plus crib combination can be a “chicken and egg” dilemma, so we advise purchasing from a retailer with a generous return policy (like Amazon) if the products don’t mesh the way they should.
2.Dream On Me 3 inch Spring Coil Portable Crib Mattress
- Organic, Waterproof and Stain-resistant
- Passes all safety checks
- Smart custom-built Air pockets for ventilation
- Manufacturer warranty of 10 year
- 100% non-toxic
- Cushion is slightly thinner then competitors.
First all their mattresses all upheld to the ASTM Standards as well as the Federal Flammability Standards.The products do not contain any lead and phthalates which makes them perfect for crib mattresses.
This is an important safety requirement that some of the less well know brands fail to mention. Based on a dynamic spring coil design the Dream on me mattress is comfortable and convenient.
As Mattress includes wire borders it will not lose shape which is good to know.Housing custom made air pockets for dynamic airflow and freshness it comes with a durable stain-resistant laminated layer that is waterproof.
This guarantees that your child has a problem-free, germ-free, wetness free bed every timeThis mini-mattress is the perfect size to fit into a mini crib and it won’t leave any unwanted gaps between the mattress and the crib frame.
3.Dream On Me Holly 3” Fiber Portable Crib Mattress
- Reasonably priced
- Mattress may not be thick enough or may be too thin depending on preference
It’s also hypoallergenic so you shouldn’t have to worry about any allergies. It has an anti-bacterial waterproof cover that helps to prevent mold, mildew, and odors sticking around. It’s easy to clean with just some warm water and mild soap.
If you’re buying a mini crib mattress, the size will matter. This one measures 38 x 24 x 3 inches. Keep this in mind if you’re trying to get it to fit in a pack n play or smaller crib.
The mattress itself only weighs three pounds making it light enough if travel with if you need to.The only drawback with this mattress would be if you were looking for one that was either thicker or thinner. Crib mattresses come in different thicknesses, so it comes down to preference.
4.Newton Baby Mini Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed
- Breathe-Thru Technology – Reduces the suffocation risk.
- 100% washable – Effectively clean all parts of the mattress.
- Improved air circulation – Your baby can enjoy a comfortable night with less sweat.
- Some parents have reported the mattress has a bad smell when first opened.
There’s even more good news for parents: the Newton Baby Mini Crib Mattress is fully washable.That means everything from the cover to the core can be cleaned without causing damage to the material.
Breathable, comfortable, and convenient, the Newton Baby Mini Crib Mattress is an all around excellent choice for parents and babies.And with Greenguard Gold certification, you can feel happy at night knowing your little one is as safe as can be.
5.Naturepedic Organic Lightweight Classic Crib Mattress
- Dual firmness
- Healthier materials
- Lighter weight
- Potential sagging
The inner workings look like condensed batting in a wave-type structure, similar to the wave inside the middle of dense cardboard (only bigger), providing support. It also includes organic cotton and a waterproof surface to help keep things clean. It is manufactured in the USA, GreenGuard Gold Certified, and Naturepedic is known for its excellent customer service and warranty. This mattress is dual-sided for infants and toddlers, and it has waterproof seams to keep things clean and free from mites, liquids, and microbes.
When this mattress style was first launched, there were reports of the center sagging. When we spoke with Naturepedic, they assured us that the mattress’s design and content have been redesigned and that the new version is less susceptible to sagging. We purchased the mattress and used a 30 lb weight in the center for several months to see if we could force the mattress to sag. Our tests didn’t result in sagging or indentation in the mattress, even though the weight logically should have left some impression. Overall, we like this lighter mattress and think it is a great choice for families worried about off-gassing or using natural materials near their baby.
6.Lullaby Earth Breathe Safe 2-Stage
- Dual firmness
- Washable, waterproof cover
- Waterproof mattress
- Breathable marketing
It includes 2-sides with a firmer option for infancy and a softer toddler side. Lullaby’s products have no flame retardants, and the Breeze is GreenGuard Gold Certified for low VOC emissions. Upon opening, there is no offensive smell to the mattress, and we appreciate that the mattress and cover are waterproof, as little ones have accidents. The cover is food-grade polyethylene with seamless stitching that cleans easily with a wet cloth and protects the core from dust mites, moisture, and microbial growth. The removable, washable polyester cover has a polyethylene waterproof backing and fits the mattress like a crib sheet for easy changes. The cover also has what Lullaby refers to as a 3D honeycomb, which supposedly creates a “cushion of air underneath the baby” to help regulate the bedding temperature. At under 10 lbs, crib sheet changes are more manageable and might be suitable for petite moms. Because the mattress cover is removable and washable, we recommend having an extra Lullaby Earth Breeze Washable Mattress Pad available for rotation through the wash.
Even though Lullaby Earth markets the Breeze Mattress Cover as “breathable,” this marketing should not be interpreted as a safe invitation to place your baby on their stomach to sleep. All babies should sleep on their backs on a firm surface every sleep. We go into further detail on this topic in the Newton Wovenaire review, where, in our opinion, the “breathability” marketing is a bit excessive. We think the Lullaby Earth Breeze is a quality, lightweight crib mattress. With a washable, waterproof cover and a design that makes changing “a breeze,” it is a good choice for many families.
7.Graco Premium Foam Crib & Toddler Mattress
This smart design gives it longevity and makes it more practical and functional then it’s competitors.It provides real value for money and increasing the value of the crib mattress.
It comes with a removable cover with this and a blended material of ultra-soft viscose-polyester.it is 100% waterproof and will cover your child however many accidents they have.This mattress adheres to all applicable ASTM and CPSC safety and flammability standards.
- Dual-comfort for longevity and comfort
- 100% Waterproof
- Includes a mattress cover
- Simple design that will fit all nursery.
- Foam made with polyurethane which is a cheaper material
8.Delta Children Serta SleepTrue Mini Crib Mattress
- Made from safe materials
- Waterproof and easy to clean
- A little more expensive than some others
This mattress is firm and is made from a hypoallergenic fiber core made from recycled bottles for firm comfort and support. You don’t have to worry about any harmful chemicals or materials either.
It doesn’t contain any toxic fire retardants and is GREENGUARD gold certified. This means it used low chemical emissions which is good for the environment.
The mattress is waterproof and easy to clean. It has a waterproof vinyl cover that you only have to wipe to clean. It weighs just about four pounds, so it’s not too heavy to bring along with you if you were planning on traveling with it.This mattress is a little bit more expensive than some others on the list, but it’s a quality mattress so it’s one to keep an eye on.
- 1 Mini Crib Mattress Pros and Cons
- 2 Mini Crib Mattress Buying Guide
- 3 Questions and Answers for Buying a Mini Crib Mattress
- 4 What type of mini crib mattress is best for infants?
- 5 What materials are mini crib mattresses made of?
- 6 How can I ensure the safety of a mini crib mattress?
- 7 What is the price range for mini crib mattresses?
- 8 How do I care for a mini crib mattress?
Mini Crib Mattress Pros and Cons
A mini crib is a smaller version of a standard crib, and it is designed for infants and toddlers. It is typically smaller in size and can be a good option for parents who have limited space in their home or for parents who want a portable crib for travel.
Here are some pros and cons of using a mini crib mattress:
- Compact size: Mini cribs are designed to be smaller and more compact than standard cribs, which can be a good option if you have limited space in your home.
- Portability: Mini cribs are typically lightweight and easy to move, making them a good option for parents who want a portable crib for travel.
- Price: Mini cribs are generally less expensive than standard cribs, which can be a good option for parents on a budget.
- Size limitations: Mini cribs are designed for infants and toddlers, and they may not be suitable for older children or for use as a full-time bed.
- Mattress size: Mini cribs have a smaller mattress size than standard cribs, which can make it difficult to find a good-quality mini crib mattress.
- Limited lifespan: Mini cribs are designed for short-term use, and they may not last as long as standard cribs.
Overall, a mini crib can be a good option for parents who have limited space in their home or who want a portable crib for travel. However, it is important to consider the size limitations and the potential lifespan of a mini crib when making a decision about whether it is the right choice for your child.
Mini Crib Mattress Buying Guide
A mini crib is a smaller version of a traditional crib and is designed for use in smaller spaces or for parents who want a portable option for their child. A mini crib typically measures around 38 inches long and 24 inches wide, which is about two-thirds the size of a standard crib. When shopping for a mini crib, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- Size: Make sure the mini crib mattress fits properly in the crib and meets safety standards. The mattress should be at least 27 1/4 inches wide and 51 5/8 inches long, and no more than 6 inches thick.
- Firmness: A firm mattress is generally recommended for infants to help prevent the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). As your child grows and becomes more mobile, you may want to consider a mattress with a medium level of firmness.
- Material: Mini crib mattresses are typically made of foam, innerspring, or a combination of the two. Foam mattresses are lightweight and easy to maneuver, but may not be as durable as innerspring mattresses. Innerspring mattresses have a traditional feel and tend to be more durable, but may be heavier and more expensive.
- Safety: Choose a mini crib mattress that meets safety standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Look for a label indicating that the mattress has been tested for flammability, lead, and phthalates.
- Budget: Mini crib mattresses range in price from around $50 to over $200, depending on the size, material, and features. Determine your budget and look for a mattress that fits your needs within that range.
- Care and maintenance: Consider the ease of cleaning the mini crib mattress. Some mattresses have a waterproof cover that can be wiped clean, while others may need to be spot-cleaned or have the cover removed and washed.
Questions and Answers for Buying a Mini Crib Mattress
What type of mini crib mattress is best for infants?
A firm mini crib mattress is generally recommended for infants to help prevent the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). As your child grows and becomes more mobile, you may want to consider a mattress with a medium level of firmness.
What materials are mini crib mattresses made of?
Mini crib mattresses are typically made of foam, innerspring, or a combination of the two. Foam mattresses are lightweight and easy to maneuver, but may not be as durable as innerspring mattresses. Innerspring mattresses have a traditional feel and tend to be more durable, but may be heavier and more expensive.
How can I ensure the safety of a mini crib mattress?
Choose a mini crib mattress that meets safety standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Look for a label indicating that the mattress has been tested for flammability, lead, and phthalates.
What is the price range for mini crib mattresses?
Mini crib mattresses range in price from around $50 to over $200, depending on the size, material, and features. Determine your budget and look for a mattress that fits your needs within that range.
How do I care for a mini crib mattress?
Consider the ease of cleaning the mini crib mattress. Some mattresses have a waterproof cover that can be wiped clean, while others may need to be spot-cleaned or have the cover removed and washed.